All posts tagged "Charity"

World hunger 2009


In 2009, the ranks of the world’s hungry reached a record 1 billion — and the number continues to rise. Every six seconds a child dies from hunger-related causes. More than 60 percent of chronically hungry people are women. Poor nutrition causes nearly one in three people to die prematurely or become disabled. In the developing world, 26 percent of children under the age of 5 are moderately to severely underweight. Here’s what you can do: Baptist Soup Kitchen – Philipsburg, St. Maarten (Carribean) Many people have come to St. Maarten looking for work, but instead have found themselves jobless, homeless and hungry. $190 feeds 100 people per week! Read More… Calvary Baptist School Feeding program – Port au Prince, Haiti The 6,600 students who attend the 18 CBC schools would not be able to stay alert and learn were it not for the nutritious school meal they enjoy every day…the only meal most will eat that day. $59,400 run feeding for an entire year! Read More… Christian Home Care program – Kitwe, Zambia Christian laypersons volunteer to bring food, material support and encouragement to almost 100 chronically ill, homebound patients too sick to fend for themselves-many of whom are suffering from T.B. or dying of AIDS. $40 helps one patient for an entire month! Read More… More from our Project Catalog here.


Read More

Five Ways to Check a Charity


Jane Bennent Clark of Kiplinger offers solid benchmarks for measuring sound charities: Look at spending priorities – aim for organizations that spend at least 75% of their budget on programs and split the remaining 25% between fund-raising and overhead. Evaluate accountability – be sure the group has a well-defined structure and organizational support. Beware of red ink – on the 990, look for the line that indicates positive or negative assets. Gauge the cushion – look for 6-12 months worth of working capital. Review the annual report – look for ‘unqualified’ in the auditor’s notes. Self-promotional plug:  Cross International channels over 95% of budget on projects and less than 5% on fund-raising and overhead and passes the other four benchmarks very well. Check our Financial Accountability information here.


Read More

Seven-year-old prefers charity to birthday presents


Sweet story from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel (the gifts went to World Harvest Missions’ Children’s Home in Haiti through Cross International). Feb. 28, 2009 – by C. Ron Allen / South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Boca Raton., FL) – Kyle Conger turns 7 today, but he doesn’t want any presents. The Boca Raton boy, touched by images and stories he saw online of an orphanage in Haiti, has asked his friends to donate money instead of bringing gifts to his birthday party this afternoon. “I want to help them because that’s what God told me to do,” said Kyle, a first-grader at Spanish River Christian School. Kyle’s mother, Debbie Conger, said some parents encourage their kids to forgo gifts at birthdays and ask for charitable donations instead. Party guests are not required to make donations, she said. “He’s got a really good heart,” Conger said. She and Kyle searched the Internet for charities. “I was kind of gearing toward a school or something like that because it’s hard to explain an orphanage to a first-grader,” Conger said. “He said, ‘Go back. … What’s an orphan? … That’s what I want to help.’ So who was I to argue?”


Read More